David Froman has practiced law since 1978. He is licensed in Arizona, California, and Missouri. His education includes a B.A., magna cum laude, from Southwestern College in Kansas, where he was Student Body President and a Rhodes Scholar nominee; a J. D., cum laude, from the University of San Diego, with a diploma from the USD Institute of International and Comparative Law in Paris, France; a Master's degree in international law from Harvard Law School; and postgraduate study in immigration law at Georgetown University Law School.
He was a member of the San Diego Law Review and received the American Board of Trial Advocates' award for distinguished trial advocacy. He has served as a Special Assistant U.S. Attorney, a Deputy County Counsel (San Diego County) and an adjunct member of the law faculties of Loyola University of Chicago (1984-85) and Western State University, now Thomas Jefferson School of Law, San Diego (1991 & 2013).
He served first as a Naval Flight Officer then as a JAG Corps officer in the U.S. Navy from 1969 to 1990. For three years he served in the Pentagon as the Navy's international law attorney for foreign military sales, international operational agreements, and immigration. Since retiring from the Navy and spending a year and-a-half as a tort litigation attorney for the County of San Diego, he has been in private practice including business, real estate, insurance defense, litigation, but emphasizing immigration law. He was admitted to the Bar of the U.S. Supreme Court in 1991 and has been a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association since 1986. He is certified by the State Bar of California as a Certified Specialist in Immigration and Nationality Law, an honor reserved for only the most experienced immigration practitioners.
- Southwestern College, B.A. in Mathematics, magna cum laude, 1968
- University San Diego School of Law, Juris Doctor (J.D.), cum laude, 1977
- Harvard Law School, Master's of Law (LL.M.), emphasis in International Law, 1983
- Georgetown University Law School, postgraduate study, Immigration Law, 1987
Bar and Court Admissions
- California 1978
- U.S. Court of Military Appeals 1979
- U.S. Supreme Court 1991
- Arizona 1992
- Missouri 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit 2001
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit 2012
- Certified Specialist in Immigration and Nationality Law, California State Bar Board of Legal Specialization